Meaning "pick me up" in Italian, this classic dessert features luscious mascarpone cheese layered with coffee-soaked sponge fingers, a touch of liqueur and dusted with cocoa.
1. Dissolve sugar in coffee
2. Add liqueur
3. Dip sponge fingers in syrup - but not too long or they will fall apart
4. Whisk cream to soft peak
5. Soak gelatine in cold water until soft. Warm lemon juice and dissolve gelatine
6. Whisk eggs & sugar over a bain marie until ribbon stage. Cool slightly & add mascarpone that has been creamed to a soft consistency.
7. Add gelatine mix and fold in the cream.
8. Place a layer of the soaked sponge fingers in a suitable container and spoon over half the mascarpone mixture.
9. Place another layer of sponge fingers over the top and spoon the remaining mascarpone mix over the fingers.
10. Place in the fridge and allow to set - at least an hour.
11. Before serving dust with cocoa powder.